This Seasonal Home Maintenance Checklist was provided by Pillar to Post Home Inspectors in Saskatoon. They recommend that each of these maintenance checks be undertaken twice each year, unless otherwise stated. Keep your real estate in tip top shape by following these simple maintenance procedures. Routine maintenance will seriously improve the enjoyment that you get from your home and allow you to get top dollar for your property when it’s time to sell!
Foundation, Masonry - Exterior
Check foundation walls & floors for evidence of cracking, heaving or deterioration.
Check chimneys for loose, deteriorating or missing mortar.
Check grading to ensure proper slope away from home’s foundation.
Check basement and crawl space for moisture or leaks after wet weather.
Check all exterior wood surfaces for weathering or paint failure.
Check foundation and attic vent screens for damage.
Cut back and trim all vegetation from structures.
- Check for any missing, loose or damaged shingles.
- Check for open seams, blisters or bald areas on flat roofs.
- Clean gutters, strainers and downspouts.
- Check downspouts to ensure proper water diversion from foundation walls.
- Check for any evidence of water penetration in the attic after wet weather.
- Check flashing around all surface projections and sidewalls.
- Trim back all tree limbs and vegetation away from the roof.
- Check antenna supports for possible leak sources.
- Check fascia and soffits for deterioration and damage.
Doors and Windows
- Check for loose or missing glazing putty.
- Check caulking on all openings and joints between wood and masonry for deterioration.
- Check weather stripping.
- Check for broken glass and damaged or missing screens.
- Check all window and door hardware.
- Check all faucets, hose bibs, and supply valves for leaks.
- Check for evidence of leaks around and under sinks, showers, toilets and tubs.
- Check water heater for leaks and corrosion.
- Check underground sprinkler system for leaky valves and exposed lines.
- Clean septic tank every two years (or as recommended by a service professional).
- Have well water checked for safety.
- Know the location of your main water shut-off valve.
Heating and Cooling System
- Clean or change furnace filters every three months.
- Lubricate fans and motor bearings.
- Check fan belt tension.
- For steam systems, check shut off valve for leaks and drain low water cut off as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep areas around heating and cooling equipment clean and free of stored items.
- Have systems serviced annually.
- Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in home.
- Periodically check for exposed wiring and cable. Replace at first sign of wear or other damage.
- Check all lamp cords and plugs for wear. Replace as necessary.
- Trip circuit breakers every six months to ensure proper functioning.
- Trip ground fault interrupters every month to ensure proper functioning.
- Learn location of electrical service panels and label each circuit accordingly.
- If fuses blow, circuit breakers trip frequently, or appliances spark or short out, contact a licensed electrician for immediate repairs.
- Check ceilings and surfaces around windows for evidence of moisture during wet weather.
- Check all ceiling areas beneath bathrooms for evidence of leaks.
- Check all tile joints for adequate grout.
- Check caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilet base.
- Check all stairs and railings for loose members.
- Test all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms periodically, as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Know the location of all gas shut off valves.